A few weeks ago I posted an Instagram story talking about these protein balls that I made when I was pregnant and how I swore by them for an extra energy boost when I was feeling drained. I then got an influx of messages from lovely followers asking for the recipe so here it is.
If you want to see a step by step then head over to my Instagram and check out my highlights to see how I made them.
- Your choice of nuts – I used a mix of almonds, cashews, walnuts, pine nuts, a mix of seeds and whatever else I could find in my cupboards.
- Dates – mine were a bit dry so I soaked them in some water.
- Semolina – Used as a bit of a filler and binder for the balls but you can use gluten free options like coconut flour
- Coconut butter – to help bind the ingredients but not a necessity.
- Honey to taste (optional)
- Grind the nuts and seeds to a course powder.
- Add the soaked dates and blend.
- Meanwhile, in a pan, melt the coconut butter (can use any butter or oil) and toast the semolina until it turns a light golden brown colour. Add some water slowly, to the semolina/butter mix until it forms a soft doughy paste and then add this to the nut/date mixture.
- Roll in to balls while the mixture is still warm and let them set before storing them in an airtight container for 1-2 weeks.
I haven’t really included any specific measurements because I don’t weight the ingredients, I just adjust the recipe according to the texture of the mixture on the day. If it’s too dry or powdery I add a few extra dates and maybe a bit more melted butter or honey to help it bind or even a spoon or two of any nut butter and if it’s too sticky I may add a few extra nuts or a couple of spoons of desiccated coconut/spices such as cinnamon/coconut flour/oats/cocoa powder. Anything that takes your fancy really.
Have fun giving this a go and don’t forget to head to my Instagram account and tag me in your creations. I’d love to see where you take this recipe.